Saturday, August 12, 2017

And We Danced!

Newlyweds: Slow dancing, swaying to the music, just me and my-my-my-my girl
Tracy and I were recently at the 40th wedding anniversary of Tim & Cheryl Gallagher, and we took note of David De Castro and his wife Linda out on the dance floor tripping the light fantastic. As we sat and watched the dips and twirls and other cool moves, Tracy looked over at me and said, "We need to take dance lessons."

My first thought was that I don't need no stinkin' dance lessons- she saw plenty of my dance moves when we were a-courtin'. Our first dates were were actually at a dance club in Provo not all that long ago, when George Herbert Walker Bush was president, and Frankie said RELAX! (I still want to know, Frankie, don't do what?)

Dancing was fun back in the day, hitting late nights at LA clubs like 321, The Palace and Florentine Gardens, and afterwards your clothes had that sickly-sweet stench of clove cigarettes because smoking was common indoors back then. (Something I don't miss about the 80s.) The key was to find a spot on the floor under a vent, for not only fresh air, but those places were saunas.

While up at BYU, Ivy Tower was the happening place. It had several dance floors with different types of music, wall to wall people bumping into you, and music thumping so loud it was impossible to carry on a conversation. Where Tracy and I went on our first date . . . an obvious place to take a girl to get to know her.

We dance where WE hear the music, and where we could embarrass Lindsey while taking this pic.
After getting married, I can probably count on one hand how many times we have been dancing (despite my best efforts!) But that has changed, now that we are enrolled in a ballroom dance course. We might even get dance shoes. I am sizing up one of those awesome matador jackets, and still trying to decide- sparkles or LEDs?

Our first dance lesson was on Friday, and I was not prepared for that type of exertion. We spent time on the Eastern Swing, with one-two-three, right-left-right, bounce, step, repeat. Which then added a behind the back maneuver, then one with her going under my arm, then me under hers. And that was the first 15 minutes! Suffice it to say, I needed a shower when we were done, and I slept for 10 hours that night.

But you know what?  I think cutting a rug will be a regular date night gig. I may need a sweat band though.

So, Mr. and Mrs. De Castro, that is the power of example!

I told our dance instructor that Tracy and I prefer to dance just with each other, but there are rare occasions where we might find ourselves dancing with others . . .


And we danced- Like a wave on the ocean, romanced . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment