Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Thirteen Reasons Why Not


When I was in 8th grade, a kid at a neighboring middle school killed himself.  I didn't really know him.  He tried out for the Pop Warner football team I was on, but unfortunately things did not go all that great.  Not only did he have no friends on the team, but he was picked on by some of my teammates. He was eventually cut from the team, and why not . . . he certainly didn’t fit in.  And I didn’t give him another thought, until I learned he had hung himself in his shower with the belt from his bath robe.

I felt as much guilt as a 13 year old kid could feel, and wondered why I didn’t befriend him when he tried out for the team.  I tried to excuse myself, as I never really knew him; but nearly 40 years later the memory stings a bit. Now I think about the pain his parents experienced, and likely continue to feel today.  He no doubt had his reasons for committing suicide, but maybe someone could have given him some reasons why to not take his life. 

The Jay Asher young adult novel, Thirteen Reasons Why, centers on events leading up to and, in her explanation, the causing of the suicide of high school student Hanna Baker.  She narrates in great detail on cassette tapes the reasons why she “took a bunch of pills,” assigning blame to people and events that have made life unbearable for her.

I have no credentials and no clinical background or clear understanding of mental illness, but have plenty of my own opinions, (which I think are pretty darn good).  But I do know that mental illness is a reality which affects lives of countless people, and Professor Google indicates that of those who die from suicide, more than 90% have a diagnosable mental disorder.

“Don’t Try Suicide,” a song on the Queen album, “The Game,” admonishes not to attempt suicide, and interestingly enough, was never performed live.   Obviously this song had some meaning to Freddie Mercury, and suicide is something that has touched nearly everyone.  It certainly has me.

The novel and subsequent Netflix series are wildly popular, but I wonder at its appropriateness given the target audience.  Will impressionable young ones view suicide as being more legitimate, even glamorized, after watching this show?  I told my 14 year old that we could watch it together, but that his mother and I would pause the story often to discuss and evaluate what we are seeing.  He hasn’t taken us up on the offer . . . weird.  But it is worth noting that suicide is the #2 killer of teens, so in my own opinion, (which again is really good), caution is warranted with "entertainment" of this type. 

While the story is about the reasons Hanna Baker took her life, perhaps it is better to consider my . . .

Thirteen Reasons Why Not:

1.       I have a beautiful lights-up-the-room wife whose nose crinkles when she smiles and eyes twinkle when she sees me, that loves me, supports me, is fun to be with, and relies on me.

2.       My kids need an engaged father who will help set them on the path they should follow throughout life, and who they can talk to when THEIR kids give them the headaches they give me. 

3.       My grandkids deserve to have someone tell them dad jokes.  And I deserve to have more grandkids, to smell that newborn aroma and hear the giggles of toddlers.

4.       My family doesn’t need the stigma, for lack of a better word, of the head of the family committing suicide.  Suicide may seemingly end things for me, but they will live with it forever.

5.       God loves me and wants me to be happy.  On the other hand, Old Scratch wouldn’t mind having another miserable soul around.

6.       If there is life after death, then it might be worth considering that there is misery after death.  Suicide would only extend the suffering, not relieve it. 

7.       My parents don’t need me to check out before them, and certainly not like this.  Parents dying of old age before their kids is a rule.  I should say that when I was younger, I would have considered my current age as “old.” Which means any day now I may clutch my heart like Fred Sanford and exclaim, “This is the big one, Elizabeth!  I’m comin’ to join ya!” And my grandma who died when I was a kid, who I am excited to one day see, would be so disappointed if she saw me arrive earlier than my due date.

8.       Emotions are fleeting except for the ones we work on.  Happiness and sadness can both be courted. Now, I know folks have depression disorders and such, but that is not my personal reality, and this is my list; which leads to . . .

9.       Help can be obtained through totally available and incredibly powerful mental, emotional, spiritual and physical health practices, medications and therapies.  Which means, it is something we work on.

10.   There is no fixing things if I punch out early. 

11.   It will get better.  The darkest hours having only 60 minutes sounds cliché, but the men of grit who walked the Bataan Death March got there after putting one step after another.  Suck it up spanky! 

12.   The sumptuous taste of toro sashimi.  The pungent smell of freshly cut grass.  Watching with wonder as lightening strikes the earth. The electric feel of a salmon hitting my bait. The chill sound of the Zac Brown Band. 

13.   This is an unlucky number, so . . . 

14. D.H. Lawrence: "I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.  A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself."  I come from divine origins and am intended for great things.


2 comments:

  1. Kids gave you headaches? Must be the other two, I'm certain I never did anything of the sort ;)
    "Emotions are fleeting except for the ones we work on. Happiness and sadness can both be courted." I remember you telling me something similar when I was a kid, you said it more than once. I still think about it, especially when I feel my emotions getting the better of me. Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written and great advice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete